BE PAID TO CREATE an ARTWORK
for the Waterline’s new LUMINOUS GALLERIES
We invite creative people of the Waterline towns to take up 8 grants of $1,200 each.
THE EDGE OF US is asking you to bring the Waterline’s new light pad installations to life with a temporary artwork of your own.
The artworks will be displayed in a series of exhibitions from April - September 2018.
We encourage artists and creative people, both professional and non-professional - to submit a draft idea.
Ideas that respond to the history and characteristics of the towns and / or the chosen sites and that involve the participation of others in their making are preferred.
There will also be 10 cash sums of $300 released in February 2018.
For more information please come along to an
SUNDAY 5TH November 2pm-4pm
Corinella and District Community Centre
ABOUT THE LUMINOUS GALLERY PROJECT
The LUMINOUS GALLERIES project involves the installation of clusters of permanent lights in the parks of the Waterline towns. Like ‘stars in the ground’, the lights will be configured as constellations, and will connect to local indigenous stories from the skies. The lights will serve as a canvas onto which artists and community can construct artworks to make an ever-changing nighttime gallery space. We aim to illuminate the parks of the Waterline towns in order to build evening visitation and greater community interaction.
Each of the ‘stars’ will be set into a flat concrete pad. Each pad will feature a single 8W dimmable LED up light and a number of tie-down points. Sculptures will be installed over and / or around the lights and will be illuminated either by the existing light, or by additional light sources plugged in to a separate 12V outlet inside the pad.
The grant process is designed to inspire people as to what is possible on a small budget and support residents to use the lights on a continual basis.
Successful projects will be allocated a materials budget – in addition to the $1200 fee - based on the scale of the final idea idea. Material budgets will range from $100-$700.
THE EDGE OF US will also provide each commissioned person with:
- installation and de-installation support.
- publicity and marketing.
- concept development support.
- some production support including safety and risk management.
- a small launch.
The selected applicants will retain the intellectual property and copyright of the concepts they have proposed as well as finished artwork.
A great idea for a luminous artwork:
- Is inspired by the site in some way (eg history or physical characteristics)
- Is striking, interesting, moving, beautiful or unusual.
- Is possible to make with affordable materials that will endure up to a month of sun, wind and rain.
- Comes from a resident of one of the five Waterline towns.
- Involves the input of multiple participants in its concept, construction or delivery (preferred but not required).
Please provide a draft idea on up to two A4 pages, which includes;
- An illustration or design (note that we do not expect ideas to be fully developed at this stage)
- An indication of your preferred town site/s
- An indication of which participants you would like to work with to realise your project (minimum 3 participants required. Note that we can assist you to find participants but you should indicate your preference eg 3 x friends, the street you live in, year 3 students etc).
- A short one-paragraph description of your idea and / or interest in creating a luminous artwork
- A short one-paragraph outline of your creative background.
- Your contact details.
Successful applicants are required to attend a briefing and ideas development day on SUNDAY 4th February 2018 in Corinella in order to receive their fee.
Your application should be addressed to ‘THE EDGE OF US’ and can be submitted in electronically or in hard copy to be delivered or postmarked by 5pm, 1st December 2017.
It is strongly recommended that interested applicants attend the information session Sunday 5 November 2017.
SUNDAY 5 November 2-4pm 2017: Information session, Corinella and District Community Centre
FRIDAY 1 December 5pm 2017: Idea submission closing date
by FRIDAY 11 December 2017: Selected projects advised
SUNDAY 4 February 10 – 5pm 2018: Briefing and idea development day
FRIDAY 26 February 2018: Your idea ready for program publicity
SATURDAY 7 April 2018: Launch event and first series of exhibitions.
SUNDAY 9 Sept 2018: Final exhibition series closes